Sunday, March 22, 2015

sol march 22

"Oh Hi there little girl! Whats your name"
"Dorathy"
My mom rolls her eyes as the check out girl looks confused. We are standing in line at the grocery store. I am five, and having an obsession with The Wizard Of Oz I have decided that my name is Dorathy, and My brother's new name is Toto. My hair is put in to two messy attempts at braids hanging past my shoulders. I had decided as dedication to Dorathy I would wear my hair in "braids". This was not only difficult because I didn't know how to braid hair, but because of the curly hair I had at the time. So instead of Dorathy's perfect braids I had clumps of twisted hair tied together with bobby pins and pony tail holders.  Along with my "braids"I am wearing a worn white and blue gingham apron. The apron was slightly to small and tight around the waist with a frayed hem at the bottom.
The check out girl coming to a moment of realization smiles at me.
"Well isn't that sweet!" she says with fake enthusiasm
I give a wide grin and wait over by the door with my brother, who at the time was just learning to talk.  The cashier looks at me, and then back at my mom knowingly as I pass them. Carson or "Toto" babbles at me as I walk towards him.
"Hi Toto" I say to him
My mom walks over towards my brother and I with brown bags of groceries in both of her hands.
"Come on Slo-"
"Dorathy" I corrected with an annoyed look on my face.
"Come on Dorathy" She says smiling "Lets go home"
"Ok" I said
Mom, My brother, and I walked out towards the car. I got in, closed my eyes, and for the rest of the ride, clicked my heels saying "There's No Place Like Home."

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see you doing this! Loved each word and you really captured how the adults in the situation would act. I wonder...was your mom annoyed or giggling by you clicking you heels in the back seat?

    ReplyDelete