Monday, January 27, 2014

slice of life

I push open the door. It takes a second shove but it finally gives in.
FACT 1 : Our front door is older than dirt.
I walk out to the warm embrace of summer sunset. I slam the door behind me. I swear if I have to spend one more second with my little cousin I will blow my brains out.
FACT 2 : I can not stand my little cousin
That girl is the most manipulative, spoiled brat I have ever met (and probably will meet but only time will tell).
I look across the porch to my swing. The paint is faded, The rope is frayed, It can only swing one way which is into the tree it's hung from yet these are the things I love about it. I twist my fingers in the frayed rope while I am on it, and I have made a game out of seeing how long I can push of the tree without using my hands.
I walk across my yard to the swing. I back up and stand on one of the tree roots with the bark of the tree pressing my back. I tighten my hand on the rope and jump.
I feel the breeze tug at my hair as I swing forward. I use my legs to move the swing at a point were I can kick off the tree. I point my heels out so I can push of easily. The bark presses to my feet and then disappears. I smile. The is so easy and simple, I feel like I could just float off…
" There you are Sloan I have been looking everywhere for you"
I would know that awful sickly sweet voice anywhere.
Oh god
FACT 3: My cousin can find me from mile away
I force a smile on to my face.
"Hi Alice"
" Oh my god I had the most stressful day, I had to work with this girl at school who bothers me so much"
"Oh really"
sound familiar.


 <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethrader/5459925584/">*Seth</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

1 comment:

  1. I love your descriptions about swinging. Especially this: "I feel the breeze tug at my hair as I swing forward. I use my legs to move the swing at a point were I can kick off the tree." I love swinging so this is particularly vivid to me.

    ReplyDelete