Sunday, November 9, 2014

slice of life 1

I collapse on to my bed. Normal friday routine I guess. Collapse on my bed for 30 minutes, finally get up and go downstairs get on the treadmill until dinner. I cocoon myself in the warmth of my comforter and curl up in a ball. The first snow was a few weeks ago. I wasn't ready for it to get cold yet, my mind was still clinging to the memories of summer even thought we were coming to the end of fall.
tap swipe swipe swipe swipe 
tap tap tap swipe swipe
I realized I had my finger had started tapping again. I had learned morse code over the summer and although the alphabet had begun to fade from my memory I could still remember the numbers clearly. I would always find myself tapping thirteen. I find it somewhat fitting. Me and the number thirteen had always seemed to be entangled. My birthday was on the thirteenth, My favorite book was Thirteen Reasons Why, thirteen is my lucky number, the list seems to never stop growing. 
tap swipe swipe swipe swipe 
tap tap tap swipe swipe
I hear the piano start to play downstairs. I would often wonder why but right now I am not in the mood to investigate. I start to hear the soft tune of Annie's song by John Denver I know that it is most likely my mom. She has always loved that song and I don't blame her. It is beautiful. 
tap swipe swipe swipe swipe 
tap tap tap swipe swipe
I close my eyes and let the soft familiarity of the music lull my to sleep.

4 comments:

  1. I like the repetitive "tap tap swipe" and how it fits into a comfortable day and moment at home. You bring together a lot of elements and senses in this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really cool and really descriptive. we are #13 twins! my birthday is on the 13, 13 is my lucky number... cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how simple yet heartfelt and special this SOL feels. Very well written, Sloan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really cool way to describe this story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete